I decided over three years ago to make my nutrition a top priority. At that point, I realized that the portion control containers worked for me and that to succeed long term, I had to continue using them consistently. Yep, I’m a structure kinda girl.
But I also determined that I would have to fill my arsenal with flavorful recipes that my family and I enjoy. You guys, I can’t do it — I simply refuse to eat grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, and boring steamed veggies EVERY day. The way I see it, if you’re not loving your food on the daily then your chances of falling off the wagon go way up!
We have one life guys, make it a flavorful, delicious, and healthy one.
So, like any resourceful person, I started doing research online. Ding ding! I found Skinnytaste, Healthy Fitness Meals, and of course Fixate by Autumn Calabrese. All were phenomenal resources for clean recipes that were easy, kid friendly and most importantly: delicious! Score! Finding cleaned up Hispanic recipes was a double score for me.
Don’t wait for people to hand you the info — go find it. Google is your BFF!
Slow Cooker Fricase de Pollo (aka Chicken Fricassee)
I wanted to feature a dish that I grew up eating. My Grandmother used to cook it for us. My dad makes an incredible version, too. It’s part of our history — a Cuban favorite. But I wanted to clean it up a little. I wanted to “Beckify” it. So, I bring you Healthy Cuban Fricase de Pollo (aka Chicken Fricassee)!
This recipe was actually inspired by Skinnytaste and adapted to our my family’s cooking style and liking. And I’ve made this recipe so many times that I have found ways to elevate it!
The best part about this recipe isn’t how tasty it is (although it’s pretty freaking good!), the best part is how EASY it is. Brown the chicken, add everything into the slow cooker, and you’ve got a deliciously healthy meal 4-6 hours later.
Easy and oh so Cuban!
I actually used my Ninja Slow Cooker, which is actually a “Multi Cooker” and that means I can actually sear my meat right in the slow cooker! One less pan to clean? Oh yeah! If you’re in the market for a new slow cooker, I highly, highly recommend the one I have — this baby does EVERYTHING. But, if you have a traditional slow cooker, you can definitely brown the chicken in a pan on the stovetop.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts with bone
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 4 tbsp pitted Spanish olives with brine
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Optional: Baby Yukon potatoes cut in half
- Optional: ¼ white cooking wine (vino seco if you speak Spanish)
- Season the chicken with salt, cumin and pepper. (I love Cumin so I pack it on.)
- Brown the seasoned chicken in the Ninja Slow Cooker, or in a separate pan at medium heat. This step is critical in developing the flavor of the chicken and later the sauce.
- If cooking in a separate pan, transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Place onion, garlic, pepper, potatoes (optional), and tomatoes in the slow cooker. Season again with salt, cumin, and oregano. Mix well to incorporate seasonings.
- Add tomato sauce, olives, along with 1 tbsp of the brine, ¼ cup water, ¼ white cooking wine, 2 bay leaves, and diced cilantro.
- Mix well and set slow cooker to HIGH 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours. When done, taste for salt and seasoning and adjust spices as needed.
- Serve over brown rice with a side of veggies.
Portion Fix Container Count:
Recipe Inspired by: Skinnytaste, Chicken a la Criolla